Tuesday, June 16, 2015

In Memory of Elisabeth




“God never withholds from His child that which His love and wisdom call good. ...While it is perfectly true that some of my worst fears did, in fact, materialize, I see them now as ‘an abyss and mass of mercies,’ appointed and assigned by a loving and merciful Father who sees the end from the beginning. He asks us to trust him.” Elisabeth Elliot 

Yesterday I received news that a dear, godly lady, Elisabeth Elliot, passed on to Heaven to meet our Savior face to face. As I was driving my 40 minute commute after work, the tears began to flow down my cheek. Oh, maybe the tears were a culmination of many things, but I truly felt deep grief & sorrow — to know that earth lost such an incredible hero of the faith. I imagined what it must have been like for Elisabeth to walk through those Pearly Gates of Splendor & to be reunited with her beloved husband, Jim, who was martyred in Ecuador by Auca Indians in 1956. 

Over the last 10 years, this precious lady was like a mentor to me - through her books, through her stories and her quotes. She was a role model to me of what a godly woman should be like. Infact, during my high school years, I journaled of my desire to want to marry a man like Jim Elliot one day, and serve together with him as a missionary on the mission field. When I was 19, I went through my first, real relationship crisis or "break up" if you willand I remember calling my mother on the phone with tears streaming down my face, "If the Lord can do it for Jim & Elisabeth Elliot, then I know He can do the same for me."

It was Elisabeth herself who penned ,"Out of the deepest pain has come the strongest conviction of the presence of God and the love of God.” She also said, “To be a follower of the Crucified means, sooner or later, a personal encounter with the cross. And the cross always entails loss."

I was always felt like I could relate to Elisabeth's shy, reserved personality. In Jim Elliot's diaries, he writes of how quiet & reserved Elisabeth was during the beginning of their relationship, and how he wished she could've been a little more forthright. Even still, he pursued her and loved her for the woman that she was.

I am forever grateful for Elisabeth's life example and the unshakeable faith & trust that she had in Christ. She so wisely said, "To love God is to love His will. It is to wait quietly for… the One who knows us through and through."

The last day or so, I have been constantly listening to the song, "Find Us Faithful" (sung by Steve Green). I just love the words.  Truly,

May all who come behind us find us faithful.






"The older I get, the more totally convinced I am that God DOES know what He's doing. 
He loves us with an everlasting love, and He wants us to trust Him." 
Elisabeth Elliot

No comments: