Saturday, July 13, 2013

Only One Life.

Growing up as a little girl, my Mom would quote often, "Only one life twill soon be past. Only what's done for Christ will last."

It was another early morning.
I was headed to work as I always do.

Everything happened so fast. I lost control of the vehicle, dodged oncoming traffic, (somehow) missed hitting a telephone poll and concrete gasoline line, the vehicle rolled twice, and I hung from my seatbelt - sideways... trapped, waiting for help. The shock brought me to sobs, "Jesus, help me!"

During those moments, it was as if Jesus was right next to me whispering in my ear, "I have set before you life and death!"

A week and a half ago, I was so close to going home to be with Jesus, but the Lord spared my life. A Police Officer simply said, "Lady, you had an Angel holding you. Don't take that for granted."

I walked away from the vehicle and went home with only a scratch on my toe!

The next morning, my entire body was radiating with pain and I would not stop vomiting. The pain was so horrible, all I wanted to do was just DIE. That afternoon, I was admitted into the Emergency Room where they immediately put me on Morphine through an IV to ease the intense pain. The hospital decided to perform a CAT scan and multiple x-rays to look for any concussion or ruptured organs. Praise the Lord, the results came back good! My body was simply reacting to the trauma & stress of a serious car accident.

God was so very good to me in those moments.

*

The events that happened in my life as of recently have caused me to pause and reflect on the Sovereignty of God and the shortness of this life.

A week or two prior to my accident, I was going through my (neglected) book collection. I pulled out two identical books I had gotten on my high school graduation day (years ago) titled, "Don't Waste Your Life" by John Piper. One of the books had a "Don't Waste Your Life" sermon tucked in the back of it, and I listened to it that afternoon. I was sobered and reminded of the shortness of life.

The very morning of my accident, I woke up half an hour earlier for "no reason." I never wake up before my alarm! That morning I felt the Lord prompting me to soak in extra promises from His Word. I opened to Philippians 3 where I read, "...Whatever gain I had, I counted as loss for the sake of Christ. Indeed, I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For His sake, I have suffered the loss of all things and count them as rubbish... that I may gain Christ and be found in Him... that I may know Him and the power of His resurrection, and may share His sufferings, becoming like Him in His death." In those moments, the Lord reminded me of an old, familiar hymn, "Loved with everlasting love, led by grace that love to know... Oh this full and perfect peace! ... In a love which cannot cease, I am His, and He is mine." It was an hour and half later that I was in the car accident.

The Lord KNEW I would be in the accident that day.
My life was spared.

But what if I had gone home to be with Jesus?
What would have been said of my life?
Would it had been said that I made an eternal impact in others lives and lived for the glory of God?

All of my earthly possessions would have been left behind. It wouldn't have mattered what kind of car I drove, what kind of home decor I decorated with or what my wardrobe looked like. It wouldn't have mattered what kind of income I made or whether I looked like the world's definition of "beauty queen."

One day, the Lord WILL call each one of us home to our eternal destiny when we, most likely, do not expect it. It could be tomorrow.

Don't waste your life.

Only what's done for CHRIST will last.

1 comment:

Samantha said...

Oh my, Leah!! *hugs*
To know that you could have lost your life in a split second, makes me tremble. I'm so thankful that you walked with barely a scratch and that God was protecting you. Your reminder to make our life count is timely for me. Sometimes I wonder what God has in store for me. Sometimes I start living in the future and all the "whens" and "what ifs". I forget to thank Him for today; for this moment that I have with my family.

It's so true that we might not get tomorrow and I don't want to live with any regrets! I don't want to die with "unfinished" business so to speak. I think it's soo important to let God be in charge of our lives so we are in completely in His will at all times.