Monday, June 25, 2012

Missions Monday | Favorite Missions Movies

As a visual person, I actually prefer watching a movie over reading a book. I love being able to SEE a picture. Not to discredit book reading, as I should do more of it.

I've collected a few favorite "Missions" related movies over the years, and today I thought I'd share them with you.



Hudson Taylor  by Ken Anderson Films


"Hudson Taylor" has been a favorite movie of mine for years. The film quality is not the greatest, but I've always been able to look past that. It's very accurate to Hudson Taylor's biography and the movie is filled with many of his wonderful quotes. My personal favorite is, "God gives His very best to those who leave the choice with Him." The movie is focused on Hudson Taylor's younger years of ministry in China, and ends at the death of his own, dear wife, Maria.


Last Flight Out  by Billy Graham Presets


My Grandma (former missionary herself to Quito, Ecuador alongside my deceased Grandpa who was a Pastor for many years) had me watch "Last Flight Out" when I graduated from high school. I remember watching the movie the first time & being totally glued & mesmerized by the story.

"Last Flight Out" is a modern-day missionary story about a single, female missionary doctor in Columbia, South America who is suddenly warned that the local villagers she ministers to, will be forced to work on a coca farm run by local, Colombian terrorists... or else. Because of the danger, her father sends her former boyfriend, a Pilot, down to the jungle to convince her to return home. One of my favorite quotes from the movie, "There is no better place to be than in the center of God's will."

End of the Spear

My Grandma had me watch "End of the Spear" when I lived with her in Michigan for a while after high school. The story of the 5 martyred missionaries has always been especially meaningful to that particular side of my family, as my Grandma personally knew Barbara Youderian (one of the martyred missionary's wives). My Grandmother stood up as a bridesmaid in Roger & Barbara Youderian's wedding  kind of cool, really!

This movie, as you guessed, is about the true story of the 5 missionaries that were martyred in Ecuador, but especially based on missionary pilot, Nate Saint. There are some violent & graphic scenes in this movie, so I caution you to be aware of that. But there are also some touching, gripping, tear jerking scenes in the movie as well! 

As a side note, a missionary friend of mine bought me my copy of the DVD while I was on a missions trip in Thailand. I was very sick with food poisoning & was nearly admitted into the hospital for dehydration. My missionary friend walked down to the local market & bought me the movie for a $1. ;-) So there I layed... in Chiang Rai, Thailand with grape Gatorade, wondering if I was going to make it back to the USA alive and I watched "End of the Spear" ... while my team mates were at a rural Thai village eating dog. LOL!


What are some of YOUR favorite missions movies? Do tell!

3 comments:

Melissa M. said...

Well, they're not quite the same as a missions movie, perhaps, but I like "God's Outlaw" about Tyndale and "Luther" about...Luther. :) I also liked "Beyond the Next Mountain," which I think is more of a true missions type of movie. It's been a long time since I've seen it, but I remember liking it at the time.

Melissa M. said...

I saw two of the films you posted about, and perhaps all three (not sure if I saw Hudson Taylor), and liked them.

Samantha R. said...

I've seen End of the Spear and it was excellent! That is neat that your grandma stood up at their wedding and they were missionaries too! :)


"There is no better place to be than in the center of God's will."

Amen to that!
And when you are in the center of His will, you have a peace that you can't fully comprehend. That's where I am right now :)