Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Jasmine Star: theFIX event | Denver

When I found out that Jasmine Star was coming to Denver for a one evening "talk" on how to help your photography business, I got so excited. And even better yet, the tickets were affordable!

Jasmine has been one of those photographers who I started "blog stalking" around the time I quit my photography business two years ago. Why? I don't know, but I was drawn to how real she communicated herself & her personal likes, dislikes, quirks, and fears on her blog. She seemed REAL, and I have always been drawn to people who are real and genuine about everything; people who don't put on a fake show or who aren't hypocrites.

One of the greatest things I gleamed from theFIX was just how important it is for me to network with other photographers, and surround myself with people who support my photography business. God never called any one of us to "do it alone." One of the things Jasmine brought out was that, "We are stronger together, than we are apart." Jasmine's husband, JD told her, "Regardless of the struggle, I'm going to stand by you and we'll do this crazy thing together." A couple other things Jasmine said was that, "Influential artists thrive on each other" and that "The more entrenched you are in those around you, the harder it is to walk away from your business."

I need to focus more on my relationships & making friendships with others. I'm not sure why, but that's scary. I suppose it's because it means I'm risking my true, real self and putting myself "out there" to either be loved OR hated. I have a choice if I want past rejection to get the better of me, and if I'm moving on and find my security in Who I am in Christ.

The other thing that I was really challenged by at theFIX was that direction & a plan is necessary to reach a destination. In order to reach goals, I need to write out what I want, and then put a deadline next to them. Otherwise they'll just be dreams "floating out there" with no intention of trying to MAKE them a reality. It's so easy for me to say, "I'd like...", "Someday...", or "It'd be so nice IF..." but instead, I need to start saying, "I WILL..." and then make steps to make my goals a reality. It's not enough to TALK about it. I think the reason that it's such a scary, hard thing for me to take action is because it involves risk & making myself vulnerable.

"Action is a great restorer and builder of confidence.
I
naction is not only the result, but the cause, of fear.

Perhaps the action you take will be successful;
Perhaps different action or adjustments will have to follow.
But any action is better than no action at all." —Peale

3 comments:

Dianne - Bunny Trails said...

Great recap! So glad I was able to attend, too. Definitely some good food for thought in moving forward. Love your images, too.

Autumn Lee said...

Glad you were able to make it out!! The thing about putting a deadline on our goals and what we want really hit home for me too!! Otherwise it becomes a to do list (and Lord knows I have enough of those!)

Jasmine Star said...

SO nice meeting you and thanks for making Denver so welcoming! :)